Protein Packed, Awesome Mushroom Kale Pasta
Makes 4 servings
- 8 ounces dry pasta of choice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) SWEET EARTH Enlightened Foods Awesome Grounds
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms of choice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped kale (fresh or frozen and microwaved according to package instructions before adding)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cashew cream (optional)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and crushed red pepper to taste
- Vegan Parmesan or grated cheese for topping (optional)
Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. When it's boiling, add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. While the pasta is heating/cooking, heat the oil over medium-low heat in a large, deep skillet. Add the Awesome Grounds. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes or until the grounds turn bright pink and then start to brown slightly. Remove the grounds from the skillet and transfer them to a plate or bowl.
Add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet and return the heat to medium. Cook the vegetables, stirring often, until the onion is soft and clear and the mushrooms have released their juices and cooked down (7 minutes). Add the garlic and kale, and cook for another 3 minutes, or until the kale is wilted and soft, stirring frequently.
Add the cooked pasta, cashew cream if using, lemon juice, salt and crushed pepper to the skillet. Stir to incorporate the ingredients, then taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Divide the pasta onto plates and top with vegan parmesan or grated cheese if desired.