Opens in a new window
Makes 10 tamales
The Secret Ingredient
- ●1 1/4 cups lard
- ●1 cup chicken broth made with MAGGI® Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●4 1/3 cups masa flour for tamales
- ●1 teaspoon baking powder
- ●1 teaspoon salt
- ●1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ●4 cups water
- ●4 medium green tomatoes, quartered
- ●5 green bell peppers, quartered
- ●1 clove garlic, peeled
- ●1/4 cup chopped onions
- ●3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ●2 pinches fine salt
- ●1 pinch ground black pepper
- ●10 corn husks, soaked in water
- ●1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
For the dough: Soften lard with the mixer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
Add the chicken broth to the flour little by little until it forms a dough.
Add the dough to the lard little by little and mix. Add the baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the filling: Heat water in a pot over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic and onion and cook for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture and grind vegetables in the blender.
Heat oil over medium heat in a pot; add the sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
Spread two large tablespoons of dough to one corn husk, spreading over husk. Add a tablespoon of sauce and a tablespoon of chicken.
Close the corn husk perfectly and fold it from the bottom up. Tie it up with a piece of leaf so they don't come apart. Assemble 10 tamales or until the dough is finished.
Add water to a steamer; arrange the tamales in the steamer. Cover and cook over high heat for 55 minutes or until cooked.