Opens in a new window
Beans on Toast
Beans on Toast
- This is a typical British breakfast dish, and you get several adaptations in cafés including cheese on the top, stir fried mushrooms, chili flakes or poached egg. Often consumed with a cup of coffee, it’s a wholesome and nutritious breakfast.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●3 tablespoons MAGGI® Hot & Sweet Tomato Chili Sauce
- ●1 cup red, raw kidney beans, soaked overnight
- ●1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ●1 yellow onion
- ●3 cloves garlic, minced
- ●3 Roma tomatoes, pureed
- ●1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ●1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- ●Pinch of salt
- ●8 bread slices
- ●3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Place the pre-soaked beans and 2 cups water in a pressure cooker; cook for 15 minutes after the first whistle. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker and drain out the excess liquids. You can store this liquid and use it for vegetable stock or to knead atta for rotis.
Heat oil in a pan; add in the onion and garlic and give it a light sauté until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the tomato puree, cumin powder and red chili powder and cook on low heat until tomato puree is well cooked. Add the MAGGI Hot & Sweet Tomato Chili Sauce; mix well.
Add the cooked, drained beans to the tomato mixture. Mix well until the beans get well coated with the tomatoes. Cover; simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes or until the beans are well coated with the spices and tomatoes. Check the salt and seasoning and adjust to suit your taste.
Toast the bread slices and top with the cooked beans.
Serve garnished with cilantro.