Red Lentil Carrot Soup
Makes 8 servings, about 1 cup per serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Maggi® Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 1 ½ cups dry red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped power greens (spinach, kale, baby chard)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in garlic, bouillon, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes and cinnamon; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste.
Add water and lentils; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook, partially covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Use an immersion blender to blend half of the soup. Or, let soup cool slightly and transfer half to a blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Return to saucepan.
Stir in greens and lemon juice. Heat through until greens are wilted. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro.