12 to 15 servings
- Give your Thanksgiving turkey a Salvadorian twist with this easy recipe. The crispy ancho chile/pumpkin seed sauce is a wonderful coating that seals the turkey’s natural juices. Serve with your favorite sides.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●10 Roma tomatoes, halved
- ●1 large green bell pepper, halved, seeds and stem removed
- ●6 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- ●1 (15 pounds) turkey, neck and giblets removed
- ●2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- ●1 1/2 cups pimiento-stuffed whole green olives, drained
- ●4 dried ancho chiles or New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
- ●1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ●1 medium onion, quartered
- ●5 cloves garlic
- ●4 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●1 tablespoon NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules
Arrange oven rack in the middle position. Line baking sheet with foil. Preheat broiler.
Arrange tomatoes and bell pepper cut-side-down on prepared baking sheet. Broil for 7 to 10 minutes or until skins begin to loosen and peel off. Remove from oven. Using tongs, place tomatoes and bell pepper in a plastic bag. Seal and set aside for 10 minutes.
Set oven temperature to 400° F.
Place turkey in roasting pan. Rub with 4 tablespoons oil on all sides. Place in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until turkey skin begins to turn golden brown. Remove from oven. Stuff cavity with apples and olives. Set aside.
Decrease oven temperature to 350° F.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add dried chile skins and pumpkin seeds. Quickly stir for about 6 minutes or until pumpkin seeds begin to brown. Pour chile/pumpkin seed mixture into a blender. Set aside.
Remove as much of the steamed tomato skins as possible. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, bouillon and coffee granules to blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
Slowly pour sauce over turkey, brushing evenly to cover turkey.
Bake, basting occasionally, for 3 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165° to 170° F.
Remove apples and olives from cavity before serving.