Slow Cooker Filipino Chicken Adobo
Makes 6 servings
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
- 8 to 10 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sliced ginger (does not need to be peeled)
- 1 to 2 whole red or green Bird’s eye chiles or other chiles (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (to make gluten free, use tamari)
- ¼ cup distilled white, unseasoned rice, cider or cane vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- Maggi® Jugo Seasoning Sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked jasmine rice (optional)
Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Brown chicken on all sides over medium heat.
Place chicken in slow cooker in a single layer. Add garlic, ginger, chile, peppercorns and bay leaves to slow cooker.
Place coconut milk, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar into same skillet used for chicken. Stir and scrape up any brown bits from bottom of skillet; pour over chicken in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or LOW for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken with slotted spoon and place on serving platter; cover to keep warm. Strain juices into small saucepan; discard solids.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until reduced to half. Season with a splash of seasoning sauce.
Pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice.