Opens in a new window
- Give the classic lasagna a Latin kick with crumbled spicy chorizo and a hint of green peppers. The ideal meal to make-ahead or for a large family feast.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●1 pound lean ground beef
- ●4 1/2 ounces Mexican chorizo, cooked (about 1/2 cup)
- ●1 1/2 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●1 1/2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper, divided
- ●1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ●1 teaspoon NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules
- ●1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ●3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- ●2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ●1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ●1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- ●12 lasagna noodles
- ●Nonstick cooking spray
- ●1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- ●1 large egg
- ●1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- ●4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- ●1 can (13 ounces) tomato sauce
- ●1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Cook beef, stirring occasionally, in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; add chorizo, bouillon, 1 teaspoon black pepper, oregano and coffee granules. Stir to mix well. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add diced tomatoes with juice; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray. Drain noodles and lay flat to dry in single layer on baking sheets.
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Combine ricotta cheese, egg, Cotija cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
Add ½ cup tomato sauce to bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Add a layer of 3 lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, then second layer of 3 lasagna noodles. Add ½ of the meat mixture, a third layer of 3 lasagna noodles, 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese and remaining meat mixture. Top with final layer of 3 noodles, remaining tomato sauce and remaining 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese. Sprinkle with basil.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.