Opens in a new window
Official LA LECHERA®
1 hr 5 min
- Abuelita Chocolate Tamales are sweet and delicious and a favorite treat treasured in Mexico and Central America.
- ●14 large dry corn husks
- ●2 cans (7.6 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ Media Crema, divided
- ●1/4 cup NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ●1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ●3 tablets (90 grams each) NESTLÉ ABUELITA Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink
- ●1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ●1 3/4 cups masa harina flour
- ●2 teaspoons baking powder
- ●1/2 teaspoon salt
- ●1 1/4 cups warm milk
Soak husks in warm water for at least 1 hour or until softened and easy to fold.
Combine 1 can media crema, sweetened condensed milk and cinnamon in small bowl; refrigerate.
Place Abuelita chocolate and remaining 1 can media crema in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat; set aside.
Beat butter in large bowl until creamy. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Alternately add flour mixture, milk and Abuelita mixture to butter, mixing well after each addition until consistency of thick cake batter (masa). (If masa is dry add a few tablespoons of warm milk; mix well.)
Spread 1/4 cup masa mixture, using back of a spoon, to form a square in the center of the lower wider portion of one husk. Fold right then left edge of husk over masa. Fold up bottom edge. Repeat with remaining masa mixture and husks.
Place vegetable steamer in pot with lid; add water to just below steamer. Arrange tamales upright in steamer rack. Cover top of tamales with a damp towel; cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Steam, adding water as needed, for about 1 hour or until masa pulls away from husks. Serve warm with media crema sauce.