Opens in a new window
Three Kings Day Bread
Official LA LECHERA®
Three Kings Day Bread
1 hr 20 min
Makes 24 servings
- ●1 1/2 envelopes (11 grams each) dry yeast
- ●1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ●5 tablespoons warm water
- ●5 1/3 cups wheat flour, sifted
- ●3/4 cup granulated sugar
- ●1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- ●1 large egg
- ●2 large egg yolks
- ●1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- ●3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ●Corn oil
- ●SUGAR PASTE
- ●1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ●1 cup granulated sugar
- ●1/2 of a 14-ounce can NESTLÉ® LA LECHERA® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ●2 cups wheat flour
- ●1 teaspoon baking powder
- ●8 thread dolls
- ●4 ounces quince cheese (ate de membrillo), cut into strips
- ●4 ounces tejocote tie, cut into strips
- ●4 ounces green apple tie, cut into strips
Preheat oven to 350° F.
For the dough: Mix the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar and warm water, set aside until it doubles in volume. Form a well with flour and ¾ cup sugar; pour the fermented yeast, evaporated milk, one egg, egg yolks, 2 sticks butter and vanilla extract in the center.
Mix all the ingredients to form a smooth, elastic dough that does not stick to your fingers, kneading it and hitting it on the table.
Place it in a large greased bowl; brush the surface of the dough with a little oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
For the Sugar Paste: Beat 2 sticks butter with 1 cup sugar and ½ can LA LECHERA® Sweetened Condensed Milk; add 2 cups flour and baking powder and beat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Place the dough on a floured surface and knead gently to remove the air and divide in two. Form 2 breads of the same size, insert the dolls and place them on greased and floured baking sheets; brush with a little oil. Cover with plastic wrap and leave them to rest in a warm place until they double in volume.
With the help of a rolling pin, spread the sugar paste on a floured surface and cut into thick strips. Brush the breads with the egg; place the cheese strips and decorate with tie strips. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool before serving.