Opens in a new window
Makes 8 servings, about 3/4 cup gumbo and 3/4 cup rice
The Secret Ingredient
- ●½ pound chicken sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
- ●3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ●5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ●1 cup chopped onion
- ●1 cup chopped celery
- ●1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ●1 cup frozen okra
- ●2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ●1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- ●2 cups water
- ●2 to 3 teaspoons Maggi® Jugo Seasoning Sauce
- ●2 teaspoons Maggi® Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- ●6 cups cooked rice
Cook sausage in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes. Remove sausage; set aside.
Add oil; whisk in flour. Whisk constantly for 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, okra and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and juice, water, seasoning sauce, bouillon and Creole seasoning; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 13 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add sausage; cook for 5 minutes.
Serve over cooked rice.