Chicken Stew with Carrots and Potatoes
Makes 16 servings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (optional)
- 2 Maggi® Chicken Flavor Hard Bouillon Tablets
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, legs, breasts, wings)
- 1 1/2 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes, cut in half
- 3 large carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups dry long-grain rice
- 4 Maggi® Chicken Flavor Hard Bouillon Tablets
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, cilantro and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent. Add half a can diced tomatoes, olives and 2 bouillon tablets; cook for 5 minutes.
Add chicken pieces, potatoes, carrots, water, wine, tomato sauce, remaining diced tomatoes, bay leaves, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender. For a thicker consistency, remove lid for last 15 minutes to allow some liquid to evaporate.
Prepare rice according to package directions, adding 4 bouillon tablets to water.
Serve chicken and sauce over rice.