14 filled cookies
- These butter cookie sandwiches with a dulce de leche filling are divine! Caramelizing sweetened condensed milk gives the filling richness, and rolling the finished sandwich cookies in coconut and nuts makes them pretty. A great recipe for gifts or entertaining.
- ●1 can (14 ounces) NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ●1/4 cup Nescafé® Café De Olla Instant Coffee Beverage Granules
- ●1 tablespoon NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- ●2 cups all-purpose flour
- ●1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- ●1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ●Finely shredded coconut and/or ground nuts (optional)
We do not recommend heating milk in the can. Preheat oven to 425° F.
Pour sweetened condensed milk into 8-inch baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Place dish in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with warm water to half the height of the baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until golden brown. Check periodically to ensure water level in roasting pan is adequate, adding hot water if necessary. Stir to smoothen. Let cool completely and reserve.
Mix coffee granules and evaporated milk in a small bowl until fully dissolved. Pour coffee mixture into dulce de leche and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine flour, sugar and butter in food processor. Pulse until completely combined. If dough is too sticky add a little more flour. Pat the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Place on wire racks to cool completely.
Spread about 2 teaspoons coffee dulce de leche to the flat side of 14 cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches. Sprinkle tops and bottoms with additional sifted powdered sugar. Roll in shredded coconut and/or ground nuts.