Sausage and Apple Cornbread Stuffing
Makes 12 servings, about 1/2 cup per serving
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cored, coarsely chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon Maggi® Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 large egg
- 6 cups cubed (1-inch) purchased or homemade cornbread (about 1 pound)
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring to break up sausage, for 5 to 6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink. Add apple and sage; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until apples begin to soften. Remove from heat.
Whisk water and bouillon in small bowl until bouillon is dissolved. Add egg; whisk until egg is distributed. Add cornbread cubes to skillet. Pour egg mixture into skillet; stir carefully to moisten ingredients. Spoon into greased 8-inch-square baking dish.
Bake at 375° F for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.