8 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
- Paella is a popular Spanish dish consisting of saffron-flavored rice and a variety of meats and seafood. This tasty version uses shrimp, scallops, calamari and mussels and is perfect for entertaining.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●1 tablespoon olive oil
- ●1 3/4 to 2 pounds mixed seafood (peeled and deveined large shrimp, scallops and calamari)
- ●1 teaspoon salt
- ●1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ●1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- ●1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ●3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ●3 1/2 cups water, divided
- ●1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- ●2 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●1 lime frozen fruit bar, melted and stick removed (*small bar from variety pack)
- ●1/4 cup dry white wine
- ●1 1/2 cups short-grain rice (such as Valencia or Arborio)
- ●1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- ●12 to 14 mussels, cleaned and debearded
- ●1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ●2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves or cilantro
- ●1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
Heat oil in 15-inch paella pan or very large skillet over medium-high heat. Season shrimp, scallops and calamari with salt and pepper. Add to pan; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until almost done. Transfer to a bowl.
Add onion, tomato and garlic to pan; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 minutes or until onion is soft. Add 3 cups water, saffron mixture, bouillon, melted bar and wine; bring to a boil over high heat. Sprinkle in rice, distributing evenly; top with bell peppers. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook, without stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Add seafood mixture, mussels (nestle them in hinge side down), remaining ¼ cup water and peas; cook for 8 minutes or until shells open and rice has absorbed the liquid. Discard any unopened shells. Increase heat to high; cook for 30 seconds to toast/brown the rice on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat, cover with foil and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley before serving. Serve with lemon wedges.