8 to 10 servings, about 1/2 cup per serving
- This classic favorite gets a bit of sweet and spicy with the addition of jalapeños and sweet potatoes.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●2 1/4 cups water
- ●1 1/4 cups red lentils, rinsed
- ●1 cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
- ●2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ●1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- ●1 small clove garlic, chopped
- ●1 cup canned unsalted diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- ●2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- ●2 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●1/4 cup finely chopped pickled jalapeños
- ●Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
Combine water, lentils and sweet potato in a 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and lentils and sweet potatos are tender (should look like a pilaf).
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with juice, evaporated milk and bouillon; cook for 5 minutes.
Add tomato mixture to lentils and sweet potatoes; cook for a few minutes just to heat through. Remove from heat; stir in jalapeños. Garnish with cilantro.