Opens in a new window
Coconut Tres Leches
Official LA LECHERA®
Coconut Tres Leches
- Give a new twist to your Tres Leches by adding coconut milk. Its subtle coconut flavor can be ramped up by adding toasted coconut if desired.
- ●2 cups all-purpose flour
- ●2 teaspoons baking powder
- ●1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ●1 teaspoon salt
- ●6 large eggs, separated
- ●1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- ●1 cup fat free milk, divided
- ●1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ●1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk
- ●1 can (14 ounces) NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ●1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ●1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ●1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ●Toasted unsweetened coconut (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl.
Beat egg whites in large mixer bowl until soft peaks form. With mixer on, gradually beat in 1 1/3 cups sugar. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately beat in flour mixture with 1/2 cup milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. While cake is cooling, make tres leches sauce.
Whisk together coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk and remaining 1/2 cup milk in a large bowl.
Poke holes all over the cake using a wooden pick, skewer or fork, penetrating to the bottom of the cake and making sure edges are pierced. Slowly pour tres leches sauce over the entire cake. Make sure to get around the edges. Cover cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Beat cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract on high speed until stiff peaks form. Carefully spread whipped cream over surface of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if desired.