Butternut Squash Lentil Chili
Makes 14 servings, about 1 cup per serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fire-roasted petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 1/3 cups dry green lentils (16 ounces)
- 1 Maggi® Chicken Flavor Hard Bouillon Tablet
- 1 teaspoon crushed dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
Add water, tomatoes and juice, lentils, bouillon, oregano, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Decrease heat to medium-low.
Add squash; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Add kidney beans; cook for 5 minutes or until beans are heated through.
Serve with toppings such as shredded cheese, chopped cilantro or chopped avocado, if desired.