Opens in a new window
16 servings, 2 meatballs per serving
Tender meatballs in a tangy tomato sauce makes this everyone's favorite weeknight dinner. A hearty, kid-friendly dish that will have them asking for more.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●6 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- ●3/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- ●3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ●2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- ●1 pound ground lean sirloin
- ●1 1/2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- ●1 large egg
- ●3/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk, divided
- ●1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ●1 teaspoon NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules
- ●2 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon, divided
- ●1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ●2 cans (8 ounces each) no salt added tomato sauce
- ●1/4 cup ketchup
- ●1/4 cup cooking sherry
- ●1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ●1 bay leaf
- ●1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add bell pepper, 1/2 cup onion and half of the garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Combine ground sirloin, breadcrumbs, egg, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, mustard, coffee granules and 1 teaspoon bouillon in a large bowl. Add bell pepper mixture. Mix ingredients thoroughly with hands. Shape into 32 (1-inch) meatballs. Lightly sprinkle with flour, covering all sides and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Decrease heat to medium; fry meatballs in batches of 8 for 4 to 5 minutes, slowly turning to evenly brown all sides. After frying 2 batches, clean any oil/flour residue from skillet with paper towel. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and continue to fry remaining meatballs.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1/4 cup onion and remaining half of the garlic; stir until onion is tender. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, sherry, sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon bouillon and bay leaf. Stir well; cover. Decrease heat to low; cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in remaining 1/4 cup evaporated milk. Add meatballs to sauce and reheat for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Remove bay leaf.
Sprinkle with dried oregano and serve.