Opens in a new window
Puerto Rican Jibarito
Puerto Rican Jibarito
- Jibarito is an authentic Puerto Rican sandwich made out of flattened, fried green plantains instead of bread. This version uses flank steak and is complemented by Swiss cheese, tomato, onion and a garlic-flavored mayonnaise.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●1 teaspoon NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules
- ●1/4 cup warm water
- ●1/2 pound flank or skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- ●1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ●1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ●1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ●1/4 teaspoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●2 large green plantains
- ●9 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- ●3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- ●1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- ●1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ●1/8 teaspoon salt
- ●1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ●4 slices (2.5 ounces total) Swiss cheese, sliced in half
- ●1 roma tomato, sliced
- ●1/4 onion, sliced
Dissolve coffee granules in water.
Place steak in large, resealable plastic bag; add coffee mixture, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and bouillon. Press bag with fingers incorporating all ingredients. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Cut both ends of plantains, then slice through peel lengthwise. Carefully pull on the peel to remove. Slice plantains in half lengthwise then slice those pieces in half. You should end up with 8 pieces.
Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat; fry plantain pieces for 2 minutes on each side or until slightly softened. Remove from heat; place on a flat surface. Flatten plantain quarters with a heavy dish or a foil-wrapped brick to approximately ¼-inch-thick pieces.
Heat 4 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Fry flattened plantain pieces in oil for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from oil; place on paper towel-lined plate.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove meat from bag; pan-fry for 10 minutes on each side. Set aside and cover.
Combine mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Mix with a fork; cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes before using.
Assemble sandwiches by spreading garlic aioli on 4 flattened plantains. Top with a slice of meat, cheese, tomato and onion. Cover with remaining flattened plantains. Serve with a side of rice and olives.
If plantains are not available in your area, use a hoagie bun or French bread instead.