Opens in a new window
Zesty BBQ Ribs
Zesty BBQ Ribs
- Homemade barbecue sauce is easier than you think! This tangy and spicy sauce will wow your family and take your barbecue ribs to the next level of deliciousness.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●2 racks (about 4 pounds total) baby back ribs
- ●2 1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- ●1 1/4 teaspoons NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE House Blend 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules or NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO Pure Instant Coffee Granules
- ●1 1/4 teaspoons sea or kosher salt
- ●1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- ●1 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
- ●3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ●1/4 teaspoon NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- ●1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ●1 bottle (12 fluid ounces) amber ale or 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- ●2 tablespoons canola oil
- ●2 tablespoons chopped onion
- ●2 cups ketchup
- ●1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- ●3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- ●1 1/2 tablespoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ●2 teaspoons chili powder
- ●2 teaspoons chipotle adobo sauce
Fit rack inside large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. Using knife, remove membranes from bone side of ribs (this step is very important for tender ribs). Pat ribs dry with paper towel; place on rack with meat side up.
Combine 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, coffee granules, salt, garlic powder, coriander, pepper and cocoa in coffee or spice grinder; cover. Process until smooth. Lightly rub ribs with vegetable oil. Sprinkle with rub mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere to the ribs. Let stand at room temperature for no more than 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 250° F. Pour beer into bottom of roasting pan. Cover pan with foil; bake for 4 to 5 hours (this will be long enough for the meat to be very tender, but not falling off the bones). Prepare sauce during the last 30 minutes of baking.
Heat canola oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook for about 3 minutes or until tender. Add ketchup, vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar and bouillon. Stir until sugar and bouillon are dissolved. Stir in mustard, chili powder and adobo sauce. Cover; cook for 30 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it simmers.
Preheat grill. Grill ribs over medium flame, turning once, for 5 minutes. Brush with sauce during grilling. Let ribs rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Double or triple the spice rub and store in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place. It will remain fresh for up to 1 month. Use 2 to 3 teaspoons rub per pound of meat. Rub is also great on pork chops, pork tenderloin, skinless chicken breasts and salmon fillets!