Opens in a new window
- Picadillo Casserole is a classic Cuban beef hash recipe. Bacon and ham and the savory cumin and oregano spices make for a flavorful mixture. Currants and stuffed olives give this dish a special final touch.
The Secret Ingredient
- ●3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- ●1 large potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ●1 pound ground beef
- ●1 cup chopped ham
- ●1 large onion, chopped
- ●1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- ●1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ●1/4 cup currants or raisins
- ●1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- ●2 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes, crumbled
- ●2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ●1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ●1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ●1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- ●Hot, cooked rice
- ●4 sunny-side-up eggs (optional)
Heat bacon drippings in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add potato; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet; set aside.
Cook beef in skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in ham, onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in potato, currants, olives, bouillon, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano and vinegar.
Serve over rice. Top with egg.